Woodlawn Associates has extensive experience in energy. Some of our experience includes:
- Conducted analysis of U.S. solar industry for an international renewable energy company. Gathered primary and secondary research on market size, growth, pricing, and competitive environment.
- Advised top-five U.S. utility about its investments in solar energy. Built detailed financial models. Led acquisition screen. Conducted acquisition due diligence.
- Helped a large commercial solar developer create a novel project finance solution that doubled its addressable market, based on extensive conversations with customers, partners, and investors.
- Led product definition, business development, and financial modeling for a leading Property Assessed Clean Energy (“PACE”) administrator contemplating a novel financial product.
- Developed partnership flip and inverted lease financial models used by solar developers, finance companies, private equity firms, and utilities to calculate returns for U.S. solar projects.
- Undertook competitive analysis and dealer research for major provider of residential leases and advised on go-to-market strategy.
- Helped one of the largest downstream players in the U.S. residential solar industry develop methodology for calculating customer acquisition cost.
- Coordinated several acclaimed multi-client benchmarking studies that helped residential solar companies understand and manage customer acquisition and installation cost.
- Helped several residential solar companies reduce installation cost through process optimization.
Energy Storage and Fuel Cells
- Helped a leading energy storage company complete $50M debt project financing—the first such financing for energy storage assets. Evaluated and finalized legal structure, developed financial models, negotiated with investor, and project managed deal through closing.
- Developed energy dispatch model for solar plus storage offering. Calculated the unlevered IRR for four different markets. Developed an algorithm to optimize dispatch and maximize the IRR.
- Led the financial portions of merger negotiations with a publicly traded competitor of an energy technology company. Provided negotiation support to the company’s CEO.
- Developed detailed financial models with leading battery controls provider to model commercial energy storage, storage plus solar, and storage with stacked services.
- Led scenario planning for fuel cell company and helped make strategic plan more robust to possible industry outcomes.
- Identified and evaluated likely alliance partners for an American energy technology company. Successfully formed partnership with a leading Japanese partner.
- Counseled global wind farm developer on implications of choosing emerging wind turbine vendor over established blue chip alternatives. Examined implications on financing availability, cost, and capital structure.
- Advised wind turbine manufacturers on appropriate level of vertical integration, how to reduce fixed and working capital requirements, and perception by top wind farm developers in the U.S.
- Helped private equity firm develop bid price for acquisition of more than 50 energy, power, and infrastructure assets.